Chapter 2: The Journey to Port Ascension

Dense Asteroid Field

"The Space Game: A Zero-G Ball Radio Show"

[Intro Music]

Jim Johnson: "Good evening space fans and welcome to The Space Game: A Zero-G Ball Radio Show. I'm your host, Jim Johnson, your source for all the latest in Zero-G Ball. Today we've got a special show for you as we'll be hearing from the captains of four teams in the league. Our first guest is the fearless leader of the Velocity Vixens, Starla Stellar. Starla, how are you today?

Starla: I'm doing great, Jim. Thanks for having me on the show.

Jim: So, Starla, what's the mood like in the Velocity Vixens' camp leading up to the next match against the Cosmic Cobras?

Starla: We're feeling confident, Jim. We've been preparing hard for this match and we're ready to give it our all. Our team has been working well together and we're excited to show what we can do on the field.

Jim: That's great to hear. Good luck in the match. Our next guest is the captain of the Cosmic Cobras, Blaze Brawler. Blaze, how are you today?

Blaze: I'm doing great, Jim. Thanks for having me on the show.

Jim: So, Blaze, what can we expect from the Cosmic Cobras in their upcoming match against the Velocity Vixens?

Blaze: Well, Jim, we're a tough and competitive team. We're going to give the Velocity Vixens a run for their money. We're determined to come out on top and we're not going to let them beat us easily.

Jim: That sounds exciting. We'll be sure to tune in.

[Intermission Music]

Jim: Welcome back to the Space Game. We've got two more captains lined up for you today. Our first guest is the captain of the Stardust Stallions, Comet Cruiser. Comet, how are you today?

Comet: I'm doing great, Jim. Thanks for having me on the show.

Jim: So, Comet, what's the strategy for the Stardust Stallions in their next match against the Galaxy Goliaths?

Comet: Well, Jim, we're a fast and agile team. Our strategy is to use our speed to our advantage and to play a smart and strategic game. We're confident that we can outwit the Galaxy Goliaths and come out on top.

Jim: That sounds like a good plan. Good luck in the match. Our next guest is the captain of the Galaxy Goliaths, Orion Outfielder. Orion, how are you today?

Orion: I'm doing well, Jim. Thanks for having me on the show.

Jim: So, Orion, what can we expect from the Galaxy Goliaths in their upcoming match against the Stardust Stallions?

Orion: Well, Jim, we're a big and powerful team. We're going to use our size and strength to our advantage and we're not going to let the Stardust Stallions push us around. We're confident that we can win this match and we're going to give it our all.

Jim: That sounds intense. We'll be sure to tune in. And that concludes our show for today. Thank you to all the captains for joining us and good luck in your upcoming matches. Tune in next time for more Zero-G Ball action on The Space Game.

————————————————————————

As I approached the Lucky Break, I felt a familiar rush of excitement wash over me. This old girl has been my trusty companion for years, and I've never been let down. I swiped my hand over the control panel, causing the ramp to descend with a hydraulic hum. I made my way inside and went straight to the cargo hold, eager to check the contents of the Gascil shipment I was supposed to be smuggling.

I flipped open the access panel and climbed down the ladder into the hold. The dim lighting cast eerie shadows across the room, but I quickly made my way over to the crates containing the Gascil. I carefully opened one of the containers, making sure to keep an eye out for any signs of tampering. To my relief, the Gascil was all there, tightly sealed in its containers.

I quickly got to work, stowing the Gascil in the secret cargo hold under the panels on the floor. I was always wary of having too much valuable cargo on board, just in case something were to go wrong. But I trusted the Lucky Break to keep us safe, and I had taken every precaution necessary to ensure the Gascil was securely stored.

I took a deep breath and looked around the hold, making sure everything was in order. Satisfied, I climbed back up the ladder and secured the access panel. I felt a sense of pride in my ship and my abilities as a smuggler, knowing that I was about to make a profit and get one step closer to financial stability. I couldn't wait to get the Lucky Break off the ground and start this new adventure. 

[Undertake an Expedition (Dangerous) +shadow: 4+3=7 vs 2/1 Strong Hit Mark Progress (2 boxes), reach a waypoint]

As I come out of the drift, I take a moment to take in my surroundings. My eyes adjust to the brightness of the stars, and I see a massive space station in front of me. It's surrounded by various ships, some small and quick, others large and lumbering. The space station has multiple arms reaching out like spider legs, each one bristling with docking ports, cargo bays, and other facilities. The hub of the space station is a massive spherical structure, pulsing with light.

I can see that the space station is bustling with activity. Ships are coming and going, delivering cargo and picking up passengers. A variety of beings are moving about on the various walkways, all with a purpose. 

I take a deep breath, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. I've been to many space stations in my travels, but this one is different. It feels larger, busier, and more important. I know that I need to be careful, and stay alert, but I'm eager to see what this place has to offer.

“Unknown ship, this is Argosy Landing. Please state your name and business.”

[Secure an Advantage +shadow +2 for Scoundrel Asset: 1+3+2=6 vs 4/6 weak hit. Take +2 momentum (6)]

“This is Scavenger of the Reclaimer Vessel, Lucky Break. I’m just passing through this area of space Argosy Landing. I have no plans on docking today but will be sure to come back in the future.”

“Very well, Lucky Break. We logged your ship into our database. Safe Travels. Argosy Landing out.”

[Undertake an Expedition +shadow: 2+3=5 vs 5/6 miss. Do not mark progress, pay the price]

As I exit the drift, I see a massive asteroid field in front of me. I quickly assess the situation and realize I've drifted into the middle of it, with chunks of rock and debris all around me. The ship's sensors are going crazy, warning me of incoming collisions. My heart races as I try to maneuver through the dangerous field, dodging massive boulders and debris. The ship's thrusters are working overtime, but it's not enough. I hear a loud metallic crunch and I feel the ship shake. I immediately check the systems and realize that one of the engines has taken a direct hit and is damaged. This is not good. I need to assess the damage and find a way out of this asteroid field before I'm destroyed. I'm starting to think this smuggling job was not worth it after all.

[Withstand Damage -2 +ships integrity (3): 2+3=5 vs 9/9 miss with a match. Worse than I thought -1 additional integrity (2) plus -2 momentum (4) due to the match]

[Face Danger +wits: 2+3=5 vs 5/3 Weak hit. Success with cost. -1 momentum (3)]

I'm trying to leave the asteroid field but one of my engines is damaged and I'm having a hard time getting enough power to escape. The asteroids are flying past my ship and I'm doing my best to avoid them, but it's like a never-ending stream of danger. The console in front of me is flashing red and beeping, indicating that the engine is still not functioning properly.

I put all of my focus into flying the ship, trying to find a way to overcome my broken engine. I try to turn on the thrusters, hoping that they will provide enough propulsion to escape. The ship lurches forward and I can feel the vibrations in the controls. I'm sweating now, I'm doing everything I can to keep the ship moving and not collide with the asteroids.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, I see a clear path in front of me. I'm able to steer the ship toward it, and I finally break free from the asteroid field. I breathe a sigh of relief and look back at the asteroids receding into the distance. 

I shut the engines down and go to the engine room to assess the damage to the engine. I’m hoping it’s not that bad and I’ll be able to repair it with the spare parts I keep in the hold. 

[repair +wits: 5+3=8 vs 5/1 Strong hit. 3 repair points. Fixing the engines 2 repair points, adding +1 integrity (3) 1 repair point]

The damage isn’t as bad as I initially thought and I was able to repair it without any major complications. It took me the better part of a day but when I was finished I started up the E-drive and entered the drift.

[Undertake an expedition +shadow: 2+3=5 vs 6/7 Miss]

The ship lurches as it exits the drift, and I hear a loud clanging sound from below deck. I quickly check the ship's systems, only to find that one of my engines has taken damage again. I curse under my breath, this is the last thing I need right now. I have a tight schedule to keep, and every minute I spend fixing my engines is a minute I'm not getting paid for.

[Withstand Damage +integrity (2): 5+2=7 vs 3/7 Weak Hit -1 momentum (2) for +1 integrity (3).] 

I quickly assess the damage and determine that I need to make some emergency repairs. I scramble down to the engine room and start putting out the flames. The heat is intense, and I can feel my skin starting to blister, but I don't have time to stop. I finally manage to get the fires under control and begin repairing the engine. It takes me several hours, but I finally get it back online and ready to go.

I heave a sigh of relief as I climb back up to the cockpit, my clothes and skin still singed from the heat of the engine room. I shake my head, knowing that this is just the start of what's sure to be a long and difficult journey. But I have a job to do, and I'll do whatever it takes to get it done.

[Undertake an Expedition +shadow: 5+3=8 vs 10/4 Weak Hit Progress (4 boxes) at cost]

As I emerged from the drift, I surveyed my surroundings carefully, my hand hovering over the weapons controls of my ship, the Lucky Break. I was always cautious when arriving at a new anchorage, especially after the close call I had with the asteroid field. But what I saw before me now was truly unexpected.

The anchorage was a sprawling space station, but it was heavily damaged, with sections of it appearing to have been torn apart and scattered throughout the surrounding area. The broken and twisted metal was clearly visible from where I was, and I could tell that whoever had caused this destruction had not been gentle.

I quickly checked my sensors, searching for any sign of life, but I came up empty. The station was a ghost town, devoid of any activity or movement. I was suddenly filled with a sense of unease, as I realized that I was not alone in this sector. Something, or someone, was out here, and I had a feeling that it was not friendly.

With my engine fixed, I had a choice to make. I could leave this anchorage and jump back into the drift, putting as much distance as possible between me and whatever had caused this destruction. Or, I could investigate, hoping to gather more information and potentially find out what had happened.

It was a difficult decision, but I finally decided to land on the station and see what I could find. After all, as a smuggler and a survivor, I was always on the lookout for a good opportunity, even if it meant taking a risk. I just hoped that this time, my luck would hold.

[Explore a waypoint +wits: 1+3=4 vs 2/1 Strong Hit +1 momentum for explorer (4) Find an opportunity +2 momentum (6)]

As I made my way through the dark, rusted corridors of the derelict station, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that hung in the air. But that all changed when I stumbled upon what appeared to be the control room. The lights flickered on, illuminating the dust-covered panels and screens. I approached the main console, curious about what I might find.

To my surprise, the station's systems had somehow remained operational despite the neglect it had suffered. I began to dig through the data, scrolling through logs and records of the station's activities. That's when I saw it: a record of a shipment of valuable, high-grade fuel cells that had been stored in the cargo bay.

My heart raced at the thought of the potential profits I could make if I could get my hands on those fuel cells. I quickly made my way down to the cargo bay, dodging broken pipes and twisted metal along the way. When I arrived, I was stunned to see that the shipment was still there, untouched and waiting for me.

I carefully loaded the fuel cells onto my ship, the Lucky Break, and made my way back to the control room. As I prepared to jump to the next anchorage, I couldn't help but smile to myself. This derelict station had turned out to be an unexpected stroke of good luck.

[Undertake an expedition +Shadow: 5+3=8 vs 10/1 Weak Hit. Progress (6 boxes) at cost]

Emerging into the next anchorage, I take a quick scan of my surroundings. The space ahead of me is filled with a massive cloud of gas and debris, and it's immediately clear that it could pose a major peril to my ship, the Lucky Break. My ship's sensors pick up several large chunks of rock floating in the cloud and I know that even a small collision with one of these could cripple or even destroy my ship.

[Face Danger +wits: 6+3=9 vs 5/1 Strong hit. +1 momentum (7)]

I navigate the Lucky Break through the dangerous field of gas and debris, constantly adjusting course to avoid the large chunks of rock floating in the cloud. The ship's engines strain under the stress, and my heart races as I navigate this perilous situation.

Despite the danger, I press on, driven by my instincts that there could be valuable resources hidden within the cloud. I spend hours exploring and am relieved to find that my ship has suffered no major damage as I emerge on the other side.

But as I scan the space ahead, I see a new peril waiting for me: a group of hostile ships has set up a blockade around a nearby planet. I realize that I will need to be cautious if I want to get past this obstacle and continue on my journey.

[Face Danger +Shadow: 3+3=6 vs 6/7 Miss. You fail or a momentary success is undermined by a dire turn of events] 

As I approached the blockade, I carefully plotted a course that would take me around it and avoid detection. I pushed the Lucky Break's engines to their limits, hoping to slip past unnoticed. But it was not to be.

Suddenly, a hail of laser fire lit up the darkness, and I knew that I had been discovered. The blockade ships were quickly closing in, and I knew that I had to act fast if I wanted to survive.

I dodged and weaved through the incoming fire, desperately trying to escape. The Lucky Break shuddered as hits impacted its shields, and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Despite my best efforts, I was eventually surrounded, and I knew that I was out of options.

With a heavy heart, I prepared for what I knew was going to be a tough fight. 

[Battle +Shadow: 3+3=6 vs 4/4 Strong hit with a match +2 momentum (9)]

As I maneuver the Lucky Break, I can feel my pulse quickening. The three hostile ships surrounding me are closing in, and I know I have to act fast if I want to make it out of this alive.

I activate the ship's weapons systems and engage the thrusters, pulling the Lucky Break into a tight turn that brings me directly into the path of the closest ship. Its guns are blazing, but I deftly dodge the incoming fire, returning fire with a barrage of my own.

The ship explodes in a burst of flame, and I barely have time to take a breath before I'm swerving to avoid the next attacker. This one is more nimble, but I'm able to anticipate its movements and get a clean shot in. It, too, goes down in a ball of fire.

The final ship is larger and more heavily armed, and I can feel the Lucky Break shaking as its weapons impact the hull. But I refuse to give up. I pull the ship into a tight loop and come up behind the enemy, raining fire down on its engines. With a final burst of speed, I close the distance and deliver the killing blow.

The last of the hostile ships is destroyed, and I take a deep breath, my heart racing with adrenaline. I activate the E-Drive and the Lucky Break jumps into the next anchorage, leaving the battle behind. 

[Undertake an Expedition +shadow: 6+3=9 vs 6/5 Strong hit. Mark Progress (6 boxes]

As I jump out of the drift, I survey my surroundings and breathe a sigh of relief to see that there is no immediate danger. The area around me is relatively clear, with only a few small asteroids floating nearby. The stars twinkle brightly in the darkness of space, and I can see the distant glow of a nearby planet.

I take a moment to let my guard down and enjoy the peace, and then I focus my attention on the planet in the distance. I bring up my ship's sensors and scan the planet, trying to gather information about what might be down there. 

[Explore a waypoint +wits: 5+3=8 vs 4/1 Strong hit +2 momentum (10)]

As I scan the planet below, my sensors detect a rich deposit of valuable minerals on its surface. Excitement builds inside me as I realize that this could be the opportunity I've been searching for. I quickly set a course for the planet, eager to land and start mining.

As I approach, I see that the planet's atmosphere is thick and swirling, but I manage to safely land on a plateau near the mineral deposit. I step out of my ship and take in the stunning vista around me - towering mountains, rolling hills, and dense forests stretching as far as the eye can see.

I gather my equipment and begin exploring the area, soon discovering that not only is the mineral deposit rich, but there are also ancient ruins scattered throughout the area. My curiosity piqued, I start to investigate the ruins, and as I do, I find that they hold many secrets about the planet's history and the people who once lived here.

I realize that this planet could be a treasure trove of information and resources, and I decide to mark it in my navigational logs so I can come back and search the ruins in earnest after I complete my smuggling mission for that merchant. 

[Undertake an Expedition +Shadow: 1+3=4 vs 4/6 miss]

Emerging from the drift into the next anchorage, I feel a sense of unease wash over me as I scan the area for any signs of danger. 

My comms begin to light up as I receive an automated distress call from a nearby planet.

“To anyone nearby, we desperately need your help in dealing with the asteroid on a collision course with our planet. We don’t have the means to take care of it and if it continues its trajectory it will destroy us.”

The message is on a loop.

My sensors pick up the asteroid and show that it will indeed impact the planet with catastrophic results. 

[Face Danger +wits: 6+3=9 vs 7/7 Strong hit with a match]

I quickly plot a course and engage the engines, determined to intercept the asteroid before it reaches the planet. I can feel the stress building inside of me as I approach the massive rock, knowing that even a small miscalculation could mean disaster. I fire the thrusters and maneuver the ship, trying to nudge the asteroid off course. It's a delicate operation, and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest as I make adjustments and fine-tune my approach.

Finally, I make a critical burn, and I watch in amazement as the asteroid starts to veer away from the planet. I let out a sigh of relief as I see that my efforts have paid off, and I watch as the asteroid drifts harmlessly away into space.

With the crisis averted, I take a moment to catch my breath and reflect on what just happened. I can't help but feel a sense of pride in what I've accomplished, and I know that this will be a moment I'll never forget. But there's still a long journey ahead of me, and I can't let my guard down for a second. I scan the area for any other signs of danger and prepare for the next jump into the drift.

[Undertake an expedition +Shadow: 5+3=8 vs 9/1 Weak hit Mark progress (8 boxes) but with a cost]

As I jump out of the drift into the next anchorage, I immediately sense something is wrong. The Lucky Break's sensors start beeping wildly, and I see that there's a massive asteroid field ahead of me, with rocks and debris floating in all directions. I know that if I don't act fast, the ship will be destroyed.

[Face Danger +wits: You Succeed but with a cost -1 Spirit (4). Endure Stress +spirit (4): 3+4=7 vs 8/4 Weak Hit. Press on]

I quickly start maneuvering the ship, dodging and weaving through the field, trying to avoid any dangerous collisions. The engine roars as I push it to its limits, and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. This is easily the most dangerous situation I've been in yet, and I have to stay focused if I want to make it out alive.

The rocks are flying past me at incredible speeds, and I'm constantly adjusting course and speed to avoid them. I know that one wrong move could spell disaster, but I can't afford to hesitate. The Lucky Break is my home and my only way to get to my destination, and I'll do whatever it takes to protect it.

Finally, after what feels like an eternity, I make it through the asteroid field and out into open space. I let out a sigh of relief, but I know that there's always another peril waiting for me out here in the drift. But for now, I'm just happy to have made it through this one.

[Undertake an Expedition +Shadow: 5+3=8 vs 8/9 Miss. Burning momentum (Now back to 2) to make it a Strong hit. Mark Progress (10 Boxes.]

[Finish an Expedition 10 boxes vs 10/3 Weak hit. Mark the reward on the discoveries tracks at one level lower. So 1 tick. Get 1 tick from Explorer so Discoveries Legacy track (2 ticks)]

As I jump into the next anchorage, my excitement grows as I see the familiar outline of Port Ascension in the distance. Finally, I am here, the place I have been working towards for so long. But as I approach, I am met with an unforeseen complication. The station security is conducting an intense search of incoming vessels, looking for any contraband. I can see their ships patrolling the area, scanning and inspecting each ship that comes close.

I slow down the Lucky Break, not wanting to attract any unnecessary attention, and try to think of a way to get past the security checkpoint without drawing suspicion. I've heard stories of the harsh punishments handed out to those caught with contraband, and I don't want to risk losing everything I've worked for.

I decide to stay on the fringes of the system and wait for an opportunity to slip past the security ships unnoticed. It's a nerve-wracking wait, but I am determined to find a way to reach Port Ascension and complete my mission.

[Face Danger +shadow: 4+3=7 vs 2/1 Strong Hit +1 momentum (3)]

The wait is long as I stay along the fringes of the system, out of sight of Port Ascension’s security forces, but I finally see my opportunity to slip by them while they were busy with a group of merchants. 

As I approach Port Ascension, I send my ship’s credentials and request docking. It’s not long before I get a response.

“Lucky Break, this is Port Ascension. You’re clear to land in docking bay 4. Please shut off your engines and allow the tractor beam to pull you in.”

I sigh with relief as I cut my engines and let the station do its thing and land me safely.

[End of Session stats: Health 5, Spirit 4, Supply 5, Momentum 3. Progress on Smuggling Vow 4 boxes]

Comments

Popular Posts